Buying or selling property and dealing with other legal issues surrounding real estate can be complicated. A qualified real estate lawyer can assist you with many different aspects of your transaction, from creating sales agreements to helping you settle disputes. Learning about the services that real estate attorneys offer can help you understand why you need a professional looking out for your best interests.
What is a Real Estate Attorney?
Real estate lawyers are licensed attorneys who focus on real estate transactions and other legal matters related to real estate. They possess the knowledge and experience needed to assist parties in both simple and complex transactions like short sales.
What Does a Real Estate Lawyer Do?
In some states, buyers and sellers are required to hire a real estate attorney when involved in a transaction. If you’re purchasing or selling residential or commercial property that involves unusual circumstances or contractual issues arise, having an experienced real estate lawyer by your side can help you save a lot of hassles and money in the long run.
Real estate attorney services include:
- Confirming ownership of a property, such as researching titles and deeds
- Identifying liens, loans, litigation, or other claims against a property
- Helping clients address and clear liens and restrictions
- Arranging for title insurance
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts and real estate sales agreements
- Handling escrow and funds transfers
- Preparing disclosures and settlement statements that list funds received from the buyer and the charges to all involved parties, such as title search fees, real estate agent commissions, attorneys’ fees, and underwriting fees
- Facilitating closings where the buyer and seller sign documents and finalize the deal the closing
- Assisting with conflict resolution when disputes arise
- Zoning, easement, and property line issues
- Other land disputes
- Commercial and residential leases
- Any other issues specific to the circumstances
Why Do I Need a Real Estate Lawyer?
Although some real estate transactions are fairly straightforward, for-sale-by-owner, short sales, and foreclosure, and commercial transactions can be rife with complex issues. A real estate transaction lawyer provides valuable advice and ensures their client’s rights and interests are protected, whether they’re representing a buyer or seller.
A real estate attorney may consult with estate planning lawyers to help clients determine the best ways to preserve and protect their assets for their loved ones. If you’re concerned about the tax implications of a transaction, your real estate lawyer can determine how a sale or purchase could affect property and income tax liability. Having a lawyer negotiate on your behalf can also result in a better deal for both buyers and sellers.
How Do I find a Real Estate Lawyer?
Although online reviews can be helpful, one of the best ways to find a qualified real estate attorney is by asking friends, family, and other people you trust if they have worked with anyone they would recommend. It is also a good idea to check your state’s bar directory to find real estate lawyers in your area.
Do you need assistance with a real estate transaction or another legal matter? Our experienced team of real estate lawyers, business attorneys, and estate planning lawyers can help.